Now through May 31st, 2021
ActioNet will be collecting non-perishable food items in support of Food for Others. Items can be donated by dropping off at ActioNet HQ Reception Area.
Food for Others operates four core services. First, emergency food is provided to individuals and families referred by social services organizations. These clients are provided with several days’ worth of food thus buying time for other sources of assistance to be arranged or for the crisis to pass. The second service is neighborhood site distributions that occur weeknights at 16 sites in low-income neighborhoods across Fairfax County, Falls Church, and Arlington County. The third service is distribution to community partners serving the elderly, home-bound, homeless, school children, and other populations at risk of hunger. Lastly, Food for Others provides weekend food to children through Power Pack Program. Many children in the area have little or close to nothing to eat between their lunch at school on Friday and the breakfast that is served Monday morning.
Food for Others is experiencing and increased demand for food due to the coronavirus. Every donation helps in the fight against hunger, no matter how small or large.
Most Needed Items:
- Fresh fruits (oranges, apples, bananas, tomatoes, avocados, grapes, berries)
- Fresh vegetables (cucumbers, celery, peppers, lettuce, eggplant)
- Canned chili
- Canned tomato products (crushed, peeled, diced, etc.), 4oz – 1 lb
- Canned meat (chicken, beef, turkey, or seafood), 2oz – 15oz
- Rice, 16oz packages
- Spaghetti sauce, 14oz – 1 lb (ideally in cans instead of glass)
- Canned fruit (packed in fruit juice instead of syrup) 11oz – 20oz
- Dried or canned beans (black, kidney, pinto, etc.)
- Fruit juice (100% juice) 32oz – 64oz
- New or Clean Reusable Grocery Bags 8 ½ x 14 x 15
Donations of other foods can be accepted so long as they aren’t expired, are in their original packaging, and sealed. Homemade items cannot be accepted.
Drop off your donations now through May 31st to the ActioNet HQ 10th Floor Reception Area to change the lives of those in our community.